Thursday, November 18, 2010

Contrast Self Portrait

**note: sorry for the lack of photographs...the phone I used to take pictures is no longer working so I didnt get a chance to upload any.

Progress report:   When we first given this project I instantly wanted to use my traits of quiet and shy yet crazy and colorful. Upon first impression I am quiet, to myself, and shy. However, if an effort is put forth to to get to know me, I am quite sociable. And those who I am friends with or am close to know that I can be pretty silly and fun.
just some ideas
I liked the idea of a smooth white outter shell. It doesn't give much informatition to the viewer and portrays a kind of untouched, pure vibe. Since this is suppose to be representation of me then this partrays how it is hard to read what kind of person I am if you have not met me. It is a clean slate. It's quiet, and unintrusive, just like me. However, I invision a sort of lip that reveals the bright colors inside. It is a peek into what my personality is. My goal is to perk the interest of the viewer so they must come in closer in order to see what is inside. Very symbolic of what it takes to get to know a person. Unfortunately my building supplies are limited..I have a very small amount of money to spend so I have to make due with what I have. This may lead to me changing my project because in the end it's more about what it looks like.
------------
Progress report 2:   My supplies are not going to work for this project. I spent all day brain storming: what I finally came up with is a tree. I want to take a branch, stip the leaves and take parts of the branch to make a small tree. Then I will put tin foil leaves on it. This is a sort of representation of my love of nature and also man made things. I want to show that they both exist in me. All i have to do now is get the supplies (both free! I have some foil left over from a previous project and there are pleanty trees on campus).
------------
Progress report 3:   The small tree idea ended up not working. It took up way too much time and effort. So now I've decided to reverse roles of the medium. I'm using tin foil as the bark and real leaves. It's going pretty well. I used a part of my NASA newspaper project as the base to build the foil upon. I've gotten a few branches made and glued on. I'm letting them dry over night and hopefully they will stick to the base.
-----------
Progress report 4:   Finished! I was going for a self-standing sculpture kind of thing but there's no way it would have gotten done on time. So it's wall mount! Problem solved. It also helps the weaker branches that droop by gluing them to the wall. The leaves ended up being pretty heavy. I used the branches I was stripping the leaves from as a guildline for where I should put the leaves and leaf groupings.

------------------------------
THE CRIT
+likes, -Dislikes, ~nutural comments

+witty

+Has a bit of character: wilted ->sad

+contrast in colors: bright green leaves - grey metalic foil 

+contrast: minty - aluminum 

+It is a realistic, natural looking tree (splits in two, etc)
(~could have been more industrial looking to be more
 contraditory to the fact that a tree is natural. To make it
more industrial would have given it a completely different feel)

+good choice to come off wall

+life size branch

+good execution in making the foil look like bark

-some parts are boring compared to others
(+the delicate and fragile branches are more interesting.
As well as the ones sticking out)

+the way the bark was broken/frayed made it more "realistic"

~Just having a natualistic tree made out of tin foil could have possibly been
 enough of a contrast in it self. It may have not even needed the leaves

Interpretations:
1. protect: armor. protection of something natural and fragile
2. Man made vs. Natural


Overall I was very pleased with the responses and feedback during this crit. It sounded like my idea got across in a least one form or another. This project was definately a big stress to figure out what to do, but what I ended up with was successful. Woohoo! It was totally worth all the weird looks I got when I was yanking branches off trees on campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment