Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cardboard Creation

Object: Flower

This Project will be the death of me! I've scrapped at least 4 ideas by now and im praying this next one works ...pictures to come.

Baiscally my plan right now is to cut the shapes of the pedals and glue them onto a cone-like base I made out of cardboard. Once I get them into the right placement and give them the right curl I will fill the spaces between the petals with the ridged center of some cardboard I tore apart. This will add volume to the flower and make it more plump than just papers laying atop each other. So far its ver difficult to glue the petals to the base so I really hope I can pull this off. Wish me luck!

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cut and fold
9.8.10) Made alot of progress today, and the flower has all of its petals glued on. I plan to cut out a few more to be fillers because there are a couple bare spots. I discovered that by cutting slits into each petal and overlapping the the seprate sides that it will not only give curve but also a bit of self-support.
My challenge now is to figure out how to get the flower to stand on its own. It's to limp to stay together at the moment. I plan on trying to put filling in between the petals and if that does not work then I may have to wrap cardboard around the base to contain and support the petals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.15.10)
The final product!
Well today has been quite emotional for me I must admit. It isn't until you face jugdement that you really see all the flaws and undesirables of something you've been working intimately with for several days. I think it's because I got so caught up in finishing it and meeting the requirements that I forgot to take a step back and see what I had done. What I started with on Monday was something I was very proud of (though it wasn't quite complete yet). The problems was, however, that it did not meet the 24inch size requirement so there was no other option but to add bigger petals on. This was something I really wished I did not have to do. It made the flower lop-sided and misshapened and detracted from the shapes I wanted to emphasize.

                            The Crit: 
    like:                                                   dislike:
+wavy leafs                                        -back/bottom: no texture
+curved petals
+stem

What was admired the most was the flow and curvature of the petals

No comments:

Post a Comment