Tuesday, September 7, 2010

NEWSPAPER/CINDERBLOCK

First Day Project



When coming to my first day of WASH I definately didn't expect to be problem solving for a NASA mission. When we were informed that our help was needed I quickly came up with an idea and began working. What i did was take a couple sheets and roll them to be about two inches in diameter and then stuff each roll with crumpled paper. However, after a few minutes of working on this plan i realized it was not going to the way i wanted. So i scrapped that idea and brainstormed before starting a new idea. I thought that the structure needed more vertical and cylindical supports. This was the key to success. So I worked and worked, and the farther I got into it the more excited I became. I tested the strength often by placing some of my body wieght onto parts of structure. Looked like this plan could actually work! And at last it was complete and looking very promising. I was so excited that i could just not wait to test the cinderblock. Unfortunately, as soon as i lifted the block off the table I knew my poor newspaper structure didn't stand a chance. Ever so gently I placed the block on top...and it could not support the weight. In disappointment, I leave to eat lunch and return gloomily to my creation. I had such high hopes for it and wished there would have been more time to fix it. All in all though, I am proud of what I did make (even though it was not successful) and hope that there will be more challenges like this to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment